Along with the rest of the world, the Somerset Hills Lacrosse Program is monitoring the on-going developments related to the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, with great interest.
SHLC takes the safety and well-being of its players, coaches, volunteers and families seriously. First and foremost, everyone should follow the guidelines provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). These resources are updated as new information becomes available and should be checked frequently. We are also currently monitoring the guidance of the Bernards Township Board of Health which is a contractual health agency serving Bernards Township, Bernardsville Borough, Chester Borough, Long Hill Township, Mendham Borough, Peapack and Gladstone Borough. We will also look to align with any steps or decisions taken by the Somerset Hills School District and Recreation Departments.
As the world at large faces an uncertain future in regard to coronavirus, be assured that Somerset Hills Lacrosse is keeping its focus wholly on the health and safety of all who participate in our activities. As we prepare for what may come, we will continue to make this our highest priority.
At this time and based on information & guidance available, all games, tournaments, events, and practices are proceeding as originally scheduled.
We all play a role in the health and safety of our community. Please do your part to stop the spread of germs at our events by following the attached guidelines. In addition, please follow these general guidelines from the CDC to help individuals prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses include:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
As it relates specifically to lacrosse, here are some additional recommended preventative measures:
- Encourage anyone who is sick (players, coaches, officials, fans) to stay away from activities. Consider encouraging fans with medical conditions (i.e. heart or pulmonary conditions, diabetes) that may make them more at risk for COVID-19 to avoid mass gatherings.
- Avoid handshakes in postgame handshake lines.
- Use good hygiene practices with water bottles.
- Properly clean and sanitize lacrosse equipment.
- Bring hand sanitizer to events.
For the most up to date information on Coronavirus, please visit the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
We will send out any additional information as needed and post information on our http://www.somersethillslacrosse.com site.
The State of New Jersey Department of Health provides a 24 Hour Public Hotline to address questions about the COVID-19 coronavirus and useful links to the CDC's web site and frequently asked questions at https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019_community.shtml
The Bernards Township Board of Health also contains helpful information and provides updates at http://www.bernardshealth.org/HDDocuments/HealthAlerts/HealthAlerts.pdf
Latest guidance from US Lacrosse can be found here https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/us-lacrosse-guidance-on-coronavirus-for-lacrosse-community